How to make a virtual training session successful
Since the COVID 19 outbreak, online learning has become more centric in individuals’ lives. The pandemic has forced companies to remote working and this, in turn, has seen a boom in virtual training.
The rise of virtual learning during the COVID-19 pandemic
Online learning has shown significant growth over the last decade, as the internet and education combine to provide people with the opportunity to gain new skills. Since the COVID 19 outbreak, online learning has become more centric in individuals’ lives. The pandemic has forced companies to remote working and this, in turn, has seen a boom in virtual training.
This change in learning has been unavoidable and has had to be managed effectively. Change management is the process of helping individuals and your organisation transition from the current state to the desired state. It involves tools, skills and best practices.
Tips on how to make virtual training successful:
● Reliable technology and the internet – It is vital to find the best platform for hosting a virtual event. Hosts should log into the meeting ten minutes before it is due to commence to make sure there are no initial problems with the technology and\or internet. Also, take the telephone numbers of the participants in case your internet goes down and you have to make contact with the participants with an update
● Icebreakers – Icebreakers are discussion questions or activities used to help participants relax and ease people into a group meeting or learning situation. It is important to build in time for an icebreaker because it can create a positive group atmosphere, break down social barriers, motivate, help people think about the topic, and get people to know and trust one another
● Clear agenda, incorporating scheduled breaks – Always send the meeting agenda out to all participants 24 hours before the scheduled meeting. By having a clear agenda in place, participants know what is expected of them and can prepare to participate and share their ideas at the meeting
● Active participation – During the virtual training session pair the attendees in groups and promote networking. You can also use panel discussions to ensure everyone is participating
● Breakout Rooms – Breakout sessions are a great way to drive participation in virtual training. Some participants do not feel comfortable speaking out in a larger group, and breakouts give everyone the opportunity to participate
● Relevant, concise slides – Slides are there to compliment your speech, not be the focus of it. One of the most important aspects of making a presentation is to keep in mind The rule of three. If you are a presenter, your audience is likely to remember three aspects of your presentation, i.e. the start, the middle and the end. This is not to say that they shall remember each and every aspect of the aforementioned but rather things that stand out. Hence, you must make sure that you apply the rule of three with some dexterity
● Use Gamification Techniques – Gamification involves borrowing fun elements found in games and incorporating them into a non-gaming perspective. Virtual events provide an excellent opportunity to apply gamification techniques like trivia, quizzes and puzzles
Further support on how to make a virtual training session successful
If you require any further support on how to make a virtual training session successful, please feel free to get in touch with us today. We are happy to discuss this topic with you and provide a personalised plan to help you make your virtual training sessions successful. We have created a case study comparing face to face training and virtual training, why not take a look at it before getting in touch?